The temple is situated in the gorge of the Shan River in 12 km from the town
Gori. It is well-known medieval temple of the 7th century. The temple's
architecture is executed in the same style as the Jvari Temple in Mtskheta.
It's walls are full of remarkable mural paintings
of the XI century. Its facade is decorated by a great number of ingraved stone
It is situated in Kutaisi and it`s an important monument of the medieval
Georgian art. The name of the cathedral is connected with the king Bagrat III
who was the donator of this church. The Dormition cahtedral was built in
1001-1008. The inner space was ornamented with mosaic. In 1691 it was blowed
up by the Turks. Many beautiful carved stone fragments are scattered around
It was built in 1213-1222 during the reign of Lasha-Giorgi. It is situated
far from the inhabited places. The ktitor is king`s Amiredjib, Kavtar son of
Kajipai. This cathedral is one of the best examples of the georgian
architecture of this period. It is decorated with a great number of masterly
curved stone ornaments. The church was abandoned long ago. These are frescoes
of various periods in the interior. Nowadays they are being restored and
This four apse church of the 6th century was built on behalf of St. Mary.
The horseshoe type shape typical for early period can be traced in the plan of
all the apses and in the arcade of the south and the west parts of the church.
It was badly damaged after reparing in the 19th-20th centuries. The church was
built with cobble-stone. Its original dimensions are about 13m x 13m.
At the dawn of Christianity king Mirian gave an order to erect wooden cross
on the mount situated in front of the ancient capital of Georgia - Mtskheta.
Later on this place in 586-604 there was built one of the most popular
architectural monuments in Georgia - Jvari (Cross). The composing centre of
the buildingis square and the dome rests on the eight angles. The
architecturally ornamented cathedral with figure reliefs, its forms,
proportions and colour harmonically merges into the environment. The Jvari
Temple crowns the mountain at the confluence of the Mtkvari and Aragvi Rivers.
It is an outstanding creation of medieval Georgian architecture, distinguished
for the harmony of architectural forms and the strictness and clearness of the
Mtskheta - ancient capital of Georgia, founded according to legends by son
of Japhet, Mtskhetos. Archeological excavations revealed long and interesting
history of the city. The big cathedral of XI C. - Svetitskhoveli was built on
place of first Christian georgian church, which was connected with legends of
the shirt of our Lord, brought in Georgia.
It was built in the 7th century and belongs to the most beautiful samples of
old Georgian art. The church that was renewed in the 18th century, was partly
destroyed by the earthquake in 1940. Later in 1952-53 it was totally rebuilt.
Its main decor is the cornice with thin raw of arches. This tiny cross-dome
type church impresses the visitors by combining together its severe and
||The Shiomgvime Monastery
It was founded by Shio of the "thirteen Assyrian fathers" who came
to Georgia in the 6th century and strived much for Christianity. The old
church was built in the beginning of the 6th century on behalf of Jon the
Baptist, It is the so called "free cross" type building, very plain and
strict. There have been built a great number of various buildings but the
old part has preserved its original forms. The fresco paintings belong
to the end of the 19th century.
||Uplistsikhe. 9th-10th c.c
Uplistsikhe is situated near Gori on the banks of the river Mtkvari.
It is an antique period city cut out in rocks. According to Georgian historical
documents, it was built by a Georgian ruier Uplos. A certain amount of
chambers must belong to the last centuries B.C., these are also some other
rooms dating back to the beginning of the 1st century A.D. and middle ages.
Uplistsikhe played an important role in the life of the country even in
the 9th-10th centuries.